December 20, 2014

CONCORD SUGGESTS NO BUDGET RESOLUTION FOR FY99 ADVOCATES DE FACTO TWO-YEAR BUDGET

WASHINGTON--The Concord Coalition Citizens Council urged the House of Representatives to reject each of the Budget Resolutions scheduled to be voted on today, arguing that passage of no Congressional Budget Resolution this year would be preferable than any of these options.

"Moving to a two-year budget process has been discussed for many years. This year's budget effort illustrates why that would be a great idea," said Martha Phillips, executive director of the Coalition.

"Congress need not reopen last year's successful bipartisan budget agreement," Phillips explained, because the discretionary spending allocations for defense, non-defense, and violent crime reduction are already in place. Appropriations Committees are proceeding with their work, and the biggest new initiative, the transportation bill, has already been sent to the president. Phillips also said that the budget enforcement rules should not be loosened as two of the alternatives would do.

"Given that last year's agreement is likely to produce a string of much needed unified budget surpluses, and that the budget is still in deficit without counting Social Security, none of the Budget Resolutions before the House today would be preferable to a de facto two-year budget." Phillips said. "Why muddy the waters with fights over new tax cuts and spending plans when the plan everyone agreed to last year will bring us the first unified surplus in 30 years?"